Parc de la Ciutadella, Barcelona
3rd year French & Spanish student at King’s College London currently in semester 2 of her year abroad.
Year Abroad Destinations:
Semester 1: Studied at University of Geneva in Geneva, Switzerland
Semester 2: Studying at Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona, Spain
1. What was your biggest fear regarding your Year Abroad before departure?
I had never been to my destination, Geneva, before and so I had no idea what to expect. My biggest fear was probably just fear of the unknown!
Berne, capital of Switzerland
2. Did you have expectations before you arrived, have those expectations been met?
I expected to be speaking so much French that I’d forget how to speak English. That hasn’t happened yet… Other than that, I didn’t let myself have expectations. I think it’s better to go with the flow and hope for the best so that you’re not thrown off by any surprises.
3. You’re currently on your Year Abroad, what has been the most exciting part so far?
Exploring a new country and meeting cool people. You know who you are, hold tight. But in all seriousness, I’d say the first week had to be the most exciting as each day I would learn something new about my new home.
Montreux, resort town in Lake Geneva
4. With one semester down and one to go, what are you most looking forward to?
I cannot wait to hit up the art galleries and museums in Barcelona. I’m also excited to travel to different parts of Spain, I hope to check out the Basque country and I’m sure I’ll get some sun in the process. And of course I’m looking forward to improving my Spanish too.
5. Advice or tips for first, second years or anyone considering a Year Abroad?
Be sure not to compare your year abroad with anyone else’s. Instead, live in the moment and don’t worry about updating social media all the time. It’s also so important to stay positive – whatever problem you may encounter, try to remain calm and I’m sure a solution will come your way.
Lake Geneva, Switzerland